Gesbit

The other blog manager

Updates category, 5 post(s)

Feed Rss, Atom

Updating Easy Videos plug-in

I said I want to go to the 3.0 version, but this new version will take long time as I have to rewrite almost everything.  In the while, the pages that use Gesbit (a few, but there are some) need to be up and working.

One of those pages is El Saloncito del Cómic, a coffee&library specialised in comic books sited in the same place the studio where I work.  Such page needs multimedia as videos and images.  As you know, Gesbit support for multimedia stuff is almost unexistent, except for a few add-ons... And they doesn't work properly!  So I'm working to fix that.

First I've updated the Easy Videos plug-in.  YouTube, Dailymotion and Vimeo now use the modern API.  I don't know about the other sites supported, may be I'll update them later.  Also, I've reformatted the code, so it is smaller and I think more easy to maintain.

In a near future I want to add a new plug-in similar to the Easy Videos but to be used with on-line galleries such as Instagram, Flickr and so.

Once finished, I'll create a new plug-in package with them.  Until that, you can take a look and download the changes from the code repository. Also you can suggest or send me changes and updates to the plug-ins.  Just put a message in the comments.

Get rid of the "/e option" and few more stuff

Finally, I have check that the changes I did to remove the /e option are running.  They needed some changes because I commit few mistakes applying the fixes.

Also, I've fixed some bugs on the gbSimple theme.  Now it renders the link to comments correctly.  It has also more style rules for more labels, as <code>, for example.

Does it mean that version 2.1.0 will be released soon?  I hope, but I can't say a date.  Also I need to revise a few more stuff.

Dealing with boolean options

Now, I'm dealing with the control panel.  You see, some option values are boolean (that is TRUE or FALSE, YES or NOT).  Currently this is managed by a text input field where your should write 1 or 0 depending you want activate or deactivate that option.  Really ugly and confusing.  What happens if you put 2, or 134?  Actually, an error message appears.

I'm replacing all that fields by selection lists with Yes or No values, which are less confusing and also avoids configuration errors.  I would use checkboxes but that would need to change current validation code.

Some SVN updates

May be I should tell to you that the preg_replace /e option issue is on the way to be fixed.

What's the /e option issue

It is fully explained in this page, but basically the /e option is added at the end of the regular expression to tell to function preg_replace it must call to a function with every result of the search.

The problem appears when it is used to format or validate data sent by user to be displayed in a page.  In that case it can be used to inject PHP code.  A fast fix is to substitute preg_replace by preg_replace_callback.  Another fix is to use other algorithms or code to do the work.

What I'm doing to fix it

I'm doing a simple update to the Gesbit core to fix it.  In some cases I've updated some third party libraries that fixes this issue by themselves.  In other cases I've modified several core lines.  This last cases I'm doing the "fast fix" I talked previously.

I didn't test all them so may be they don't work properly at the moment.  If you find any issue, please tell me.

Let's go

So, here we are again.

About six years after release the 2.0, here we are again working on the Gesbit web blog manager.  If you follow the SVN repository, you see some small improvements, including the new version of the default gbSimple theme, much more HTML5, and a new English language available.  All these changes will be released soon as version 2.0.1 (actually it should be version 1.10.1, but David did messed up with the version stuff).

Also, there are a lot of stuff planned, enough to call it version 3.0.0.  Main core will be rewriten with new internal API wich will include more data base manager support (i.e. Interbase, Oracle and more), as well as a public API that should make it easy to integrate Gesbit with other web-based applications. But as I've said this is a long-term planned stuff.

At the moment, version 2.0.1 (WIP) is available at SVN TRUNK (You can download a snapshot), and soon will be available for download.